Moving? These are our 7 tips for an easy move
Here are 7 tips for an easy move that will make the day go extra easy. We’ve owned over 21 homes and moved countless times. Here are some things we’ve discovered that make the move easier. From things you can do in advance to strategies for the day of, these tips will save you hassle and headache and ensure that your friends helping you move still like you when it is over.
1. Purge, purge, purge
2. Pack stuff that won’t be needing right away first
Another one of our tips or an easy move is to pack the things that you don’t need right away. Things that you don’t use regularly should get pack up first and unpacked last.
3. Have a system for labeling your boxes
As you are packing up, label your boxes – which room they are going to and also which order they need to be unpacked. Especially be clear which boxes have things that you’ll need right away – so that you can unpack them quickly.
4. Take inventory
One of our biggest tips for an easy move is to take inventory. As you are packing up, label boxes and list what is inside. This is critical for moving companies as they will want to know exactly what is in a box if it goes missing.
5. Be ready for your movers
No matter if you have professional movers showing up or friends who are willing to lend a hand, be ready for them when they arrive. If you are still tossing things into boxes, the day of a move, the likelihood that things will get damaged, accidentally get tossed or go missing is much higher.
Plus you’ll annoy anyone who is standing around waiting.
6. Don’t go grocery shopping for a week before you move
Eat up all your perishables, clean out your fridge and freezer, and also some of your pantry. Unless you are moving a very very short distance, you can’t take it with you
7. Have a moving day “kit”
Some things to include:
- Clothes, toiletries, medication and personal items that you will need right away when you arrive – enough for a few days.
- Linens – at least sheets, pillowcases, a shower curtain and towels for the bathroom and kitchen. Nothing is worse than not being able to take a shower after a move because you don’t have towels or a curtain.
- Some snacks and drinks for you and your moving team
- Cleaning supplies, light bulbs, toilet paper, paper towels, rags garbage bags. You’ll likely arrive and have to do some (hopefully) light cleaning and as you unpack you’ll have some trash right off the back.