Home Buyer Checklist
Our mission is to guide home buyers and sellers through one of the biggest financial decisions of their lives. We strive to make buying and selling homes a smooth process where our clients feel empowered with information and shielded from complications.
We hope this checklist helps you through the process of buying a home.
1. Get Pre-approved for a mortgage loan and establish a budget. This important step will illuminate any disappointments by avoiding looking at homes outside of your budget or what you qualify for.
2. Identify what type of property you would like to buy (condo, townhouse, single-family home, duplex, etc.)
3. Identify what locations are acceptable for your new home. Consider public transit, schools, grocery stores, shopping, etc.
4. See prospective homes with your agent. This can be daunting but so much fun!
5. Write an offer on a home and get it accepted! Keep in mind that sometimes negotiations will need to take place.
6. Once you have an accepted offer, follow your agent’s instructions for providing earnest money, ordering a home inspection, and starting the loan origination process with your lender.
7. After inspections are complete and the appraisal is completed, usually the transaction will go through so it is time to start packing and planning your move.
8. Contact movers 1-2 weeks ahead of time as a minimum to be sure your timeline can bet met. And start packing!
9. Less than one week before closing you will need to set up utilities to be in your name, homeowner’s insurance to start. We will provide you with the contact info for your utility providers.
10. On the day of closing or day prior to closing, you will need to wire your down payment and closing costs to the title company for closing. After your loan funds and the deed records, you are the new owner of your home! Your agent will arrange to get keys to you so you can take possession.
Planning a move? Here are few more tips: