The Best Food in Salt Lake City (Beyond Just Restaurants)
If you’re only trying out the traditional restaurants and eateries however, you are missing out on a large part of the food in Salt Lake City. It is not just all about formal eating places; there is much more to savor beyond the restaurant. People on the go, they on a budget or just seeking adventure will find the following eating spots quite impressive:
Food in Salt Lake City: Specialty Markets
When you walk into a specialty market in Salt Lake City, expect to find niche food products that are delicious, unique, and can’t be found anywhere else! Some of our favorite specialty markets for food in Salt Lake City are:
Caputo’s You cannot afford to be in too much of a hurry when you visit Caputo’s. In this deli, expect to sample lots of Italian specialty goods – including fine chocolate, cured meats, cheeses, imported pasta, and olives. Since their 3 markets and delis are situated in mixed-use neighborhoods, they are a prime spot for people-watching. Choose between half for full meals but expect original taste and an excellent experience.
Liberty Heights Fresh The tagline for this deli and specialty market lets you know they source some of the best food in Salt Lake City for the best ingredients every time. The food you get at Liberty Heights Fresh is prepared with integrity so every bite, sip, or piece is accounted for. The owner carefully curates a selection of locally sourced eggs, cheeses, vegetables, and proteins as well as specialty foods from around the country.
Black Cherry A Mediterranean and Middle Eastern specialty market, The Black Cherry Market is a pinhole that offers visitors a view of the world on a plate. With items like Turkish Delight at Arabic coffee and Halal meats, this little market is one to get lost in. You’ll find delicious fresh-baked flatbreads and yummy jams, dips, and spreads.
Food in Salt Lake City: Utah Local Sweet Shops
While a large number of farmers have turned Utah to be the farming capital of the north, a lot of entrepreneurs are making the scenery sweet. Utahns are known for their sweet tooth – which guarantees a delicious stop at some of our favorite spots:
- The Chocolate Conspiracy – they make their raw and vegan chocolate bard from scratch – controlling every step of the process to ensure consistency every time. With a goal of producing authentic chocolate flavors, a bar of The Chocolate Conspiracy is what you need to nibble on as you enjoy the rest of Utah.
- Ruby Snap – it does not matter how old you are; a trip to Utah is never complete if you have not bought some Ruby Snap goodies. Each cookie is named lovingly with an old-fashioned name; guests may come in and order “Two Viviannas, one Virginia, and one Zoey to go.” For once, here is a menu of cookies that have been made with love using only the finest ingredients which you can at least pronounce. Ruby Snap is your home of pleasant surprises when you are in the Salt Lake City food scene.
- Bubble and Brown – a bakery that focuses on buttery pastries and cakes with minimal sugar – instead of relying on ingredients at the peak of their season to infuse sweetness and flavor. Bubble and Brown never disappoint for breakfast pastries and special occasion cakes.
- Dolcetti Gelato – Utah’s original gelato spot, Dolcetti Gelato offers a variety of traditional gelato flavors as well as a unique take with Utah-centric ingredients. Perfect for a hot summer’s day.
Food in Salt Lake City: Food Trucks
Food trucks are always on the go – moving from site to site throughout the day… If you love food in Salt Lake City, these food trucks are well worth tracking down. Here is what to expect from a few of them:
- CupBop – the menu of the day will definitely keep you glued to these food trucks. CupBop is a Korean-fusion truck serving up bowls of rice, noodles, meat, kimchee, and spicy sauces ranging from 1 (not spicy at all) to 10 (flaming mouth hot).
- Waffle Love – the Belgian waffle will make your love affair with food deeper than you can imagine. And a taste of Belgium in Salt Lake City can be found at Waffle Love. Close your eyes and wait for the toppings to surprise you because they will; you will dig in without a care in the world.
- Fire and Slice Pizza – taste the pizzas from Fire and Slice Pizza – they are baked in a traditional (but portable) wood-fired pizza oven with unique flavors and pizzas of the day.
- Havana Eats – Cubans living in Salt Lake City will wait at the corner every day for the Havana Eats food truck to set up. Ever been to Cuba? Kill two birds with one stone by eating from this food truck that prepares authentic family meals with joy and tradition.