One of the oldest neighborhoods in the Salt Lake Valley, and the former location of the Sugar House Prison, Sugar House has become one of the hottest and trendiest neighborhoods in Utah. Which means there are plenty of things to do in Sugar House – from entertainment, great food, and fun places to shop.
Things to do in Sugar House: Entertainment
Sugar House is in the heart of the city, but there are all kinds of activities for runners, cyclists, and swimmers. Come to think of it, Sugar House is the perfect spot to train for that triathlon. Bonus: these spots are perfect for families too.
- Visit Sugar House Park – Sugar House Park, the former site of the prison, is popular year-round. Head to the park any evening during the summer and you’ll find all kinds of activities. From organized team sports, classes, families out with kids, and people taking laps around the park itself. Winter calls for sledding on the hills surrounding the park.
- Go Swimming at the Fairmont Aquatic Center – For fitness buffs, if running or cycling is not your thing, head over to Fairmont Aquatic Center and swim some laps in the pool. Or take your kids to the leisure pool during hot summer days to cool off. They also offer classes and camps for your kids too. Swimming, gymnastics, and martial arts are just a few of their offerings.
- Hike Parley’s Trail – Parley’s trail, connects the Bonneville Shoreline trail at the mouth of Parley’s Canyon to the Jordan River Parkway. Walk, run, or ride part or all of the eight-mile trail that runs through the heart of Sugar House. Don’t forget to check out Parley’s Historic Nature Park at the mouth of the canyon.
Things to do in Sugar House: Where to Shop
Sugar House is full of small, locally-owned shops that range from quirky, to sophisticated to entirely unique. Here are a few of our faves – the types of shops you can get lost in looking around.
- Tea Zaanti- Salt City’s Best TeaHouse. Find a wide selection of tea where you will have the opportunity of tasting some delicious and exotic options that you can’t miss. Go and have a TEA-rrific time.
- Central Book Exchange – a staple in Sugar House for decades; they claim to have over 90,000 items in their ever-changing inventory. This is one place in which, you could quickly lose a few hours. They also happen to be our neighbors! Go on, enjoy.
- Got Beauty – a locally owned Salon, Spa, and Boutique. Find all your beauty needs and then some. They have some great gift options as well.
Things to do in Sugar House: Places to Eat
From bars, a little hole in the wall eateries, and posh restaurants, Sugar House has dozens of great spots – all within a few blocks of the central business district! You’ll want to explore on your own, but here are a few of our go-to spots.
- The Ruin (Best Spot to Grab a Drink) – You’ve been out all day shopping or playing, or working for that matter, and you need to unwind a little. Check out one of Sugar House’s newest bars, The Ruin. Tucked next to Hidden Hollow in Sugar House, you’ll find friendly people, good drinks, and good food
- Somi (A Taste of Vietnam) – Right near The Ruin, on Wilmington Plaza, you will find Somi, serving up their classic Vietnamese dishes. Their Lemongrass Beef Noodle pho is fantastic. They also have great lunch specials.
- BGR Sugar House (Best Place for a Fast Bite) – If a burger is more to your liking, head across the street to BGR: Burgers Grilled Right. They always have a monthly special you can only get for that month, and then it is gone. BONUS: you can get any of their burgers on a pretzel bun, what is not to love about that. Try the Korean BBQ, it may sound a little odd, but it is excellent. They also have great vegetarian options.
Looking for more to do in Salt Lake:
- The Best Non-Restaurant Food in Salt Lake City (These might just surprise you)
- Our Favorite Concert Venues in Utah